Food

The ultimate breakfast

13:37:00 Neona 0 Comments

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day".. I cannot count how many times I've heard this but as teenagers we're also told "sleep is so important" however if I want to get enough sleep it means I have to sacrifice my breakfast and vice versa. Most mornings I have to survive on a couple of breakfast biscuits and will my stomach to keep from letting my classmates know just how hungry I am. Weekends on the other hand are bliss, I get a lovely lie in and can have a great breakfast- basically the definition of having your cake and eating it! A lot of the time I stick to the staple cereal or a toasted bagel but at times I feel like venturing and having more 'aesthetically pleasing' breakfasts. This week I made a simple bowl of oats, decorated with sliced strawberries, candied nuts and cinnamon sugar. A breakfast that took no longer than 10/15 minutes to make and tasted delicious (not to mention it was also highly photogenic). The recipe is highly customisable as well which means you'll never get tired of these good ol' oats!

Ingredients 

-Regular oats, literally whatever kind
-A couple of strawberries (I only used two but I have the appetite of a small child) or any other fruit- bananas or blueberries work quite nicely
-Two teaspoons of sugar, again whatever kind you have
-Half a teaspoon of cinnamon

For the nuts
-Handful of nuts of any kind or skip out on them if you're not a fan
-Teaspoon of maple syrup
-Teaspoon of honey
(If you don't eat honey or maple syrup, two teaspoons of any kind of syrup is usable whether agave or golden syrup)

Method

1) cook the oats as instructed on the packet- unfortunately I don't follow a rigid recipe and go for the 'just do whatever and hope it works out' but I'd say roughly 300ml or any milk/water with about half a cup of oats?? Honestly just see what looks right
2) (you can actually do this in advance and I think it does work better that way) start by crushing the nuts with a rolling pin, place them into a small saucepan with the honey and syrup on a low heat. Make sure to stir continuously until it starts to thicken and bubble a bit. Take these off the heat and spread them onto greaseproof paper or something that's greased down so they don't stick as they cool. The best thing to do is to let them cool completely then bash them up with a rolling pin again to get the candied pieces ( I made the mistake of eating them right after I took them off the heat and they were a bit too chewy)
3) in a small bowl mix the sugar with the cinnamon until the sugar is coated and sprinkle this on the oats (make it as pretty as you like!)
4) slice the strawbs and begin arranging them on the oats as well going to town with whatever design you choose
5) EAT!

I hope this tastes as good to you as it did for me, these oats have me craving breakfast at all times of the day!







You Might Also Like

0 comments: